Neither Eugene not Steven has made any attempt to state the principle for
which Hosanna-Tabor stands.  It certainly does not stand for a broad and
free floating principle of church autonomy, subject to some balancing
test.  It does not assert that broad principle, and it explicitly eschews
any balancing of interests.

Hosanna-Tabor is much cleaner that many have made it out to be.  It
reaffirms a longstanding constitutional principle, resting on both Religion
Clauses of the First Amendment, that the state may not resolve exclusively
ecclesiastical questions. See generally Lupu & Tuttle, The Mystery of
Unanimity in [Hosanna-Tabor], 20 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 1265 (2017),
https://law.lclark.edu/live/files/23330-204lupu-tuttlearticle7pdf.

Who is fit for ministry is such a question.  Another exclusively
ecclesiastical  question is who is entitled to attend a worship service,
and under what conditions.  So the church has a First A right to exclude a
breast-feeding woman from its worship service.  Once the church does so, it
is no longer a place where she has a right to be.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Steven Jamar <stevenja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume freedom of association would protect a church in selecting its
> membership. And I assume Hosanna-Tabor would protect religion-driven
> decorum decisions like separate seating for men and women in synagogues and
> mosques.
> But this is just a case of people being uncomfortable — not a
> religiously-compelled doctrine or code of conduct. I don’t see either
> Hosanna-Tabor or RFRA reaching that. Hosanna-Tabor does not extend to just
> any activity a church claims and RFRA requires a substantial burden on the
> exercise of religion (assuming the VA RFRA is like the federal one — again,
> I’m not interested in the particulars of the VA RFRA).
>

> --
> Prof. Steven D. Jamar
> Assoc. Dir. of International Programs
> Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice
> http://iipsj.org
> http://sdjlaw.org
>
> "In these words I can sum up everything I've learned about life:  It
> goes on."
>
> --Robert Frost
>

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 12:54 PM, Volokh, Eugene <vol...@law.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
>                 1.  Does the principle underlying *Hosanna-Tabor *extend
> to churches excluding members (or visitors) based on race, sex, religion,
> etc.?  I assume it would, which is why, for instance, Orthodox synagogues
> could have separate seating for men and women, Nation of Islam events could
> be men-only (there are a few cases on the latter, though free speech cases
> rather than religious freedom cases), various churches could be racially or
> ethnically exclusionary in their membership, and so on.
>
>                 2.  If a church can exclude people from membership or
> attendance based on race, sex, etc., I assume it would likewise be free to
> exclude people who engage in certain behavior.
>
>                 3.  Virginia does have a state RFRA, Va Code 57-2.02, but
> I assume the *Hosanna-Tabor *principle – if it’s applicable – would
> provide categorical protection, not subject to trumping under strict
> scrutiny.
>
>                 Eugene

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
301-928-9178 (mobile, preferred)
202-994-7053 (office)
Co-author (with Professor Robert Tuttle) of "Secular Government, Religious
People" ( Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 2014))
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg