Maybe Doug is just very convincing?

________________________________
From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu <religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu>
on behalf of Ira Lupu <icl...@law.gwu.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2017 9:21 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics; rtut...@law.gwu.edu
Subject: Re: Making sense of Hosanna-Tabor (and the absurd nursing-worshipper
hypo)

Marty's excellent and probing questions deserve a reply, and at length.  Bob
Tuttle is not on this list, but he and Marty live within 15 minutes of each
other and me, and the three of us will have that conversation sometime soon,
face to face. I will add only that Bob and I discuss Chris Lund's very good
article in our "mystery of unanimity" piece. And I will assert that no one else
has even tried to explain the Court's very surprising unanimity in
Hosanna-Tabor.
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 7:18 AM Marty Lederman
<martin.leder...@law.georgetown.edu<mailto:martin.leder...@law.georgetown.edu>>
wrote:
I agree entirely with Chip that the Court in H-T eschewed Sherbert/Yoder-type
balancing.  The important questions going forward, however, are (i) why it did
so -- i.e., what the justification is for the church's absolute immunity w/r/t
"ministers" and antidiscrimination laws; and (ii) whether that rationale is
likewise implicated as to other sorts of laws, and persons other than ministers.

The greatest virtue (among many) of Chip and Bob's article, I think, is that
they tie the decision in H-T to the line(s) of cases in which the Court has
held that the state cannot evaluate --is not capable of evaluating -- certain
kinds of religious questions, which we can denominate "exclusively
ecclesiastical questions."

For example:  The state may not -- cannot -- assess whether and to what extent
Person X adequately or effectively conveys the faith (e.g., the word of God) to
parishioners (or to students), or whether, e.g., Cheryl Perich has or has not
violated Lutheran tenets.  Chip and Bob's shorthand for such things, as I
understand it, is that the state cannot assess an individual's "fitness" for
the ministry (from the perspective of the church).

I agree with this.  Likewise, I agree that the state could not assess the
impact upon congregational prayer of the presence of nursing women.  That is to
say, the state must accept as true the church's conclusion (i) that Cheryl
Perich violated Lutheran precepts (indeed, that fact was undisputed -- by
filing an EEOC claim, she did, indeed, breach a church rule, based in
scripture, that such disputes be settled without resort to civil authorities);
(ii) that Perich's violation (and/or her other conduct) made her incapable of
adequately conveying the faith to students, and generally "unfit" for such a
role; and (iii) that the religious functions/effectiveness of prayer are
undermined by the presence of nursing women.

The state should (or must) also accept the church's judgment that the functions
in question (e.g., inculcating the faith to students in H-T; congregational
prayer in Steve's hypo) are of supreme importance to the church's religious
mission.

But those things only go so far to resolving how the cases should come out.  We
could--and must--defer to the Church on all of the relevant religious question,
and thus must accept the proposition that retaining Perich as a called teacher
would undermine its ability to inculcate the faith, or that the presence of
nursing women will, for whatever reason, make communal prayer less effective.
And I'll accept for present purposes the related notion that we must, too,
accept the church's conclusions that these are very damaging harms to its
religious mission--harms that the state has no business second-guessing.

OK, but now we must still decide whether the ADA's prohibition on retaliation
can and should apply notwithstanding this (conceded) harm to the church.  And
however one thinks we ought to resolve that question, the important point I'm
trying to stress here is that that assessment does not require the state to
answer any "exclusively ecclesiastical questions."  Such constituent
ecclesiastical questions are all already answered, in the church's favor (which
is different from the case of another, nonreligious employer, where the court
could critically assess whether the law would actually have the impact on
productivity, etc., that the employer claims).  We still need to decide,
however, whether the civil law should trump the harms to the church--harms that
we must accept as a given--particularly if the requested remedy does not
include retention as a minister (e.g., if Perich were asking only for back pay,
or for retention as a lay (not called) teacher).

This might be made clearer by looking at two related hypos, both of which the
Court in effect reserved in H-T (i.e., that the Court conceded are not
necessarily governed by the decision in H-T):

1.  A common-law contract claim in Perich's case, in which the contract
includes a promise by the church that the minister retains all statutory rights
to file EEOC claims.

2.  A Fair Labor Standards statute that prohibits persons under 18 from working
more than 20 hours a week, as applied to a church that claims that a
15-year-old is most fit to be its minister, and that also claims that the
minister's effectiveness, in performing ministerial/pastoral functions (e.g.,
inculcating the fatih; leading the congregation), requires that she be
available "on call," which amounts to 60 or so hours a week.

In all four cases -- Perich's ADA claim; Steve's never-to-be-enacted statute
that prohibits exclusion of nursing women from all places where people gather,
including church pews; Perich's contract claim; and Chris's "minor minister"
FLSA claim -- the courts, and other civil authorities, must accept as a given
the church's assessment of who is "fit" to be a minister, and under what
circumstances, and must also accept the church's assessment of the grievously
detrimental impact that all four laws will have on its ability to inculcate the
faith.

At that point, I think we (i.e., courts/legislators/officials) still must
decide, in all four cases, whether application of the law in question is
important enough to override that (accepted) impact on the church's interests
in religious fitness and effectiveness of ministry/prayer.  And, importantly,
that decision does not require the state to assess any religious questions that
are not the proper subject of civil interrogation.

We might, for instance, decide that any such detrimental impact on the church's
ability to minister to the faithful, or to convene congregational prayer, must
be honored--that the First Amendment gives the church the right to disregard
any law (or all four of these laws, anyway) that has such an impact (again,
accepting the church's judgment on that impact assessment).  Or, alternatively
(as Smith would suggest), that the law takes precedence notwithstanding the
impact on the church's ministry/prayer functions (in the same way that the
Court in effect accepted the fact that the Oregon peyote law would prevent the
NAC from engaging in its sacramental ceremonies).

What I still don't quite understand, in Bob and Chip's argument, is why some
but not all of the four claims would implicate ecclesiastical questions (I'd
think it's either all or--my view--none); and, more generally, why two of the
four cases should be treated differently from the other two.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Ira Lupu