Wait, what? I just looked at my .reminders file, which has been correct for years, and realized that it was correct because I failed to put in the negative - it's right because I was wrong.

Can we add a line to the man page that states that the numbers aren't what you'll get from a search engine, maybe something along the lines of 'The longitude will have the opposite sign of what you see on a map - if google gives you -80.1234, you should put it in your .reminders file as positive, and vice-versa.' and a note in the latitude section that it follows convention?

Apologies on man-page bloat, but that's just weird - I assume it was done to make the maths easier, but, IMHO, the sign should have been inverted in software to keep the numbers in the config consistent with maps.

Thank you for a wonderful piece of software!

Steve Jones, O: 513-322-7866, C: 513-604-5916

On 10/12/20 3:22 PM, Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans wrote:
On 2020-10-12 13:38, B. William wrote:
OK, I made the changed in the ".reminders_moonsun" file:
SET $LatDeg 58
SET $LatMin 25
SET $LatSec 18
SET $LongDeg -34
SET $LongMin -37
SET $LongSec -55
Buenos Aires is at latitude 34 deg 36 min 13 sec South, and longitude
58 deg 22 min 54 sec West.

In Remind, Western longitudes are *positive* unlike the usual convention.
I think you'll find you get the correct answer if you use:

SET $LatDeg -34
SET $LatMin -36
SET $LatSec -13

SET $LongDeg 58
SET $LongMin 22
SET $LongSec 54

Those coordinates give me sunrise of 06:15 and sunset
of 19:06 local time, for today.

Regards,

Dianne.
_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/
_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to