All,

Thanks for the ideas. It will take some time to explore different options.

I'm trying to understand how to connect the "REM" statement (generated by tkremind or manually) with the file of associated details. I have some idea's.

Thank-you and I will continue to explore for a solution.

--
/Thanks,/
EigenFunctions
On 5/11/21 9:14 AM, Tim Chase wrote:
On 2021-05-11 07:23, LarryD wrote:
I just started with "remind" and I like it.
Welcome!

I have been trying to find a way to attach a file (at least text
only) to any "REM" I add.
There are a couple of different ways to go about this depending on
how you want the results.  If you just used the command-line `rem` or
`remind` invocation, the most simple way would be to use the RUN
directive something like

   REM Jun 1 2021 RUN cat zoom_meeting_notes.txt

However, this doesn't actually slurp all that content into the
reminder, so it doesn't show up if you're using the `-c` week/month
calendar, nor does it show up in tkremind.

Another option would be to use the shell() function to incorporate
the file as included data:

   REM Jun 1 2021 MSF %"Zoom staff meeting%" [ \
     shell("cat meeting_notes.txt", -1)]

You can keep all your notes in individual files, or you can use some
post-processing to keep them in a single file.  I tried this

   FSET external_note(marker) \
     "sed -n '/BEGIN: *" + marker + "$/,/END: *" + marker + "$/p' " + \
     filedir() + "/calnotes.txt"

allowing me to keep my notes in a single file called calnotes.txt and
then add blocks to it like

   BEGIN: Staff meeting
   here are a bunch of notes
   with Zoom reminder links
   and phone numbers
   and more notes from the meeting
   added later
   END: Staff meeting

and then I used

   REM Jun 1 2021 RUN [external_note("Staff meeting")]

I imagine something similar would work with the shell() method.

The reason for the additional file is that I often need more
information about an event.
One can also use `IF defined("VARNAME")` tests to change function
definitions, so you might do something like

   IF defined("VERBOSE")
     FSET load_details(fname) shell("cat " + fname, -1)
   ELSE
     FSET load_details(fname) ""
   END

   REM Jun 1 2021 MSG %"Staff meeting%" [load_details("staffmtg.txt")]

That way, if you invoke remind with

   $ rem -iVERBOSE=1

it will pull in all those details but if you invoke it without that
"-iVERBOSE=1" it won't.  I don't use tkremind, but according to the
man-page, it passes through -i parameters to the underlying remind,
so it should support doing something similar at least when you launch
tkremind.

For your particular case, I have a zoom() function exactly for such
details, taking the meeting name, the Zoom ID, and password. It then
optionally colorizes it based on other -i arguments (-iCOLOR=1) and
then formats it in an easy-to-read format.  I don't include meeting
notes or longer text, but the above should give you some parts that
might assemble into a solution that meets your needs.

-tim





_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to