On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 13:53:03 -0400 hymie! via Remind-fans <[email protected]> wrote:
> So in theory, it should be easy to take the Hebrew calendar logic, > remove the "Leap Month" logic, and end up with a Muslim calendar. Nope. :) The Hebrew calendar has additional tweaks, for example a requirement that Yom Kippur never fall on a Friday or a Sunday. If anyone is interested in trying to implement support for the Islamic calendar, I recommend having a good read of this book: https://www.amazon.ca/Calendrical-Calculations-Ultimate-Edward-Reingold/dp/1107683165 Check your local library... it was in mine. Warning: It's heavy going and they implement their algorithms in Lisp. Reworking them in C in a way that fits neatly into the Remind way of doing things is not a small task. In addition, some calendars are based on observations and don't even have any sort of algorithm you can implement on a computer. (I think there is a standard algorithmic way to compute the Islamic calendar, but I don't know whether or not it's universally accepted.) Regards, Dianne. _______________________________________________ Remind-fans mailing list [email protected] https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/
