On Fri, 15 Aug 2025 19:08:17 -0500
Tim Chase via Remind-fans <[email protected]> wrote:

> It seems like it would be handy to have an inverse of
> --hide-completed-todos (maybe --show-completed-todos) to allow
> completed todos to appear on the agenda view, which could also make
> use of the %: modifier.

Because of the Remind algorithm, that's impossible.  Supposing you
had something like this:

    REM TODO Wednesday COMPLETE-THROUGH 2025-08-20 MSG Take out trash

Then in Agenda Mode, it would have to display a reminder for the
tasks that were completed on:

2025-08-20
2025-08-13
2025-08-06
... all the way back to the beginning of time.  Which, as the man page
clearly states, is 1990-01-01. :)

> I did notice that the COMPLETE-THROUGH does require some
> date-redundancy, meaning it's not quite as convenient as the

>   FSET done_y(y) y < $Ty
>   FSET done_ym(y, m) y < $Ty || (y == $Ty && m < $Tm)

Simple fix:

  FSET done_y(y) date(y, 12, 31)
  FSET done_ym(y, m) date(y, m, daysinmon(m, y))

  REM TODO 27 +5 COMPLETE-THROUGH [done_ym(2025, 8)] MSG Pay %"Water bill%"
  REM TODO Jan 31 +15 COMPLETE-THROUGH [done_y(2025)] MSG Pay %"Property tax%"

> I really like how the TODO implementation turned out, evolving from
> something I felt meh about to somethiing that I can totally see myself
> using, possibly obviating some functions I've used for years.

Thanks!  Yeah, sitting down and thinking for a bit, and then realizing
that the only task-related thing I've ever been asked for was to have
Remind continue reminding about something after the trigger date
really helped to clarify what I should do.  Glad you like it!

Regards,

Dianne.
_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to