On 2025-09-06 17:03, Remind list wrote:
> One other thing I should mention is that Remind has no way to know if
> you use a valid time zone name.  That's because the POSIX API for
> setting a timezone is (I kid you not...):
> 
>         setenv("TZ", the_zone_name, 1);
>         tzset();
> 
> and tzset() returns void... there's no possible error return from
> tzset()... not even errno.  This is not one of POSIX's shining moments.
>
> On Linux with glibc, if you say:
> 
>     REM TZ banana AT 00:00 MSG It's midnight, banana-time!
> 
> then you get UTC.  I have no idea what happens on non-Linux systems.

Per my OpenBSD & FreeBSD man-pages:

  If the TZ environment variable does not specify a tzfile(5) format
  file and cannot be interpreted as a direct specification, UTC is used.

so it looks like you'd get UTC there too.

-tim
-- 





_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to