From: ac0y5 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 11:56 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Re: [[Repeater-Builder] Spectrum Communication SCR1000 VHF
Manual]]

Thanks for the input Tony.
The primary reason that I'm going to try the Spectrum is It's what I
can afford now and It's something I havn't ran into before. If this
one gives as much trouble as indicated by thoes of you who have
owned them then I'll do something different. But for now it sounds
like a challange and it's real cheep -$0.00-. I unexpectedly came
into two 2 meter pairs at the same time. Here in Central Florida
getting a pair is like finding hens teeth so the first pair got the
MASTRII and the second pair will get the Spectrum until I get tired
of tweeking it or until I get a replacment, another MASTRII. I can
only afford a little at a time.
73 Tony and Thanks
AC0Y

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Tony King - W4ZT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> First let me start out by saying that I currently have an SCR1000
in
> service on 2 meters but the Mastr II is cooking on the bench and
will
> replace the Spectrum as soon as I finish the box to move the CAT-
1000 into.

> At 08:43 PM 11/26/2003, ac0y5 wrote:
> >It seems a lot of the complaints are from oscillator drift and
> >tuning drift. I have a few questions Does anyone know if the main
> >problem resides in the exciter, or the power amp?
>
> I have replaced the PA in this SCR1000 because the old one
failed.  This is
> a 75 watt model which has the power control board (which gives you
high/low
> power switching). The manual tells you that you MUST re-align the
exciter
> to make it work properly on the reduced voltage.  I always found
it to be a
> bit unstable so it always stayed on high power. If you tune the
PA, you'll
> find some instability there also. I don't know the answer to the
question
> of bad components or bad design. I'd rather stick with what I've
got
> personal experience with.
>
> As for oscillator drift, the SCR1000 was available with a crystal
oven but
> mine didn't come that way. It's lived its entire life in the house
where
> there have been no extremes of heat and cold.  Yet, it would still
move
> around some. I did place a small light bulb (in series with a
resistor)
> right in the oscillator portion of the exciter board and it seemed
> become more stable.
>
> >My plan would
> >eliminate all problems related to the oscillator because the Tx
and
> >Rx will be generated from a pair of Numerically Controlled
> >Oscillators well filtered. I have already designed the entire
> >circuit. Now, if Anyone knows where the problem may lay then I
will
> >be able to take care of the problem an external PA that I have or
an
> >exciter that I can buy cheaply. The power supply should be okay
>
> I had problems with the power supply.  In the 75 watt model the
power
> resistors which are mounted on terminal strips between the
transformer and
> the large heat sink on the back get so hot that they will melt
their leads
> right out of the solder. That compounds the problem and led to
erosion of a
> resistor lead and supply failure. The entire supply is horribly
> inefficient, generating more heat than the entire unit consumed in
its
> electronics.  I finally removed the transformer, the resistors and
the
> large heat sink with the pass transistors and powered the unit
externally.

> >and
> >it has been stated that the receiver is quite sensitive. If
> >necessary I can add a 5 or 7 pole helical resonator to the front
end.

> It's sensitive if you can get it tuned without desensitization.
That's the
> biggest problem with the receiver.  It isn't as sharp as
commercial
> receivers like the Mastr II or Micor so don't expect that kind of
performance.

>  From your many other posts it would appear you have considerable
repeater
> experience which makes me wonder why you would want to take this
on.  It's
> not a joy to work on.  The controller is junk (I replaced it with
a CAT1000
> over a decade ago). It's just old technology that doesn't come
close to the
> old technology you find built by GE and Motorola. If you must
redesign the
> oscillators, replace the exciter and PA, redesign/modify the
receiver, come
> up with a controller, perhaps replace the power supply, hope the
switches
> aren't intermittent (like some of mine), replace the meters (the
originals
> were useless), toss the local microphone and get something better,
what's
> left? It WAS a pretty box. I just spent the evening drilling a
front panel
> for my new VHF controller box which will contain the CAT1000, some
> interface stuff, a TS64, 4-LEDs, a volume control, a squelch
control,
> enable/disable and simulate switches for COR, CTCSS and PTT, a
speaker, a
> fuse, and on/off switch, and two test jacks to access the speaker
leads
> from the front. It will look and function almost identically to
the
> controller (containing a CAT250) that I use with the UHF Mastr
II.  The