Sean,

I have installed many hundreds of coaxial connectors over the past 40
years, and I have come to prefer crimp/crimp connectors for all critical
work.  Based on my own experience and the recommendations of several
others who do similar work, I now use only connectors made by RF
Industries.  I have found that they are of consistently high quality,
and they maintain impedance very well- a design goal of both N and BNC
connectors.  Although RFI does make a slightly cheaper line of N and BNC
connectors that have nickel plating and Delrin dielectric, I tend to
stick with the silver-plated connectors and Teflon dielectric.  The
center pins are always gold plated.

The hex crimping tool costs about $100 in a kit with the dies needed for
RG-142 and RG-214, and a commercial cable prep tool for stripping each
layer of the cable will run another $75 or so.  Many people will balk at
having to spend the money to get the proper tools, but the end results
are really worth it.  I take great pride in my repeater installations,
and you won't find any inter-series adapters used at all.  It makes for
a classy (OK, that's just my own opinion!) installation when all of the
jumpers are exactly the right length, and have the correct mating
connectors on each end.

If the cable will not be moved once installed, RG-142/U cable is okay,
but be aware that it has a solid steel center conductor that can (and
often does) crack over time due to fatigue.  RG-400/U cable is exactly
the same in appearance and performance as RG-142/U, except that it has a
stranded and silver-plated copper center conductor.

For the record, I have no financial interest in RF Industries, Inc.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY