Well, I do agree that it's not the best practice technically (an
arguable point, I suppose), but such animals are common on the public
safety bands. As for security, that too is a debatable point, as such
links use a high frequency tone to indicate absence of a signal. If you
could override the remote site, the worst you could do is get voted for
retransmission. Most people can't simulate the control tone (users of
this list excluded, of course!), as it's not standard on a user radio.
As such, it is a rather highly secure link method.

But, one thing you could do is to reverse the tone logic and have it
send the tone when a signal is received. That would decode faster than
CTCSS or CDCSS, so your remote TX would respond faster. The only
drawback is that you then have to notch that tone out of the transmit
audio (which could be done after voting - one notch filter). Then, just
switch the link TX with CAS/COS. Oh - you would have to switch the logic
in the voter, too, so it sees tone as an active site rather than
inactive.

My copy of part 97 is not that old - in fact, it's a URL. :-)

Another point to add - just make sure any continuous link has an ID on
it that runs every 10 minutes. That part is still in the rule book. :-)

Joe M.