At 05:14 AM 12/21/03 +0000, you wrote:

>I am having trouble finding any VHF radios to be used as a
>transmitter for my repeater. I have a 2-meter repeater made from two
>GM300 Motorola radios. My problem is is that the radio that is used
>for transmit burned up the pa and is no longer usable. I have been
>looking for a replacement but have not found one.

So swap the RX and TX radios.
You can prolong the life of the TX radio by cutting the power down
by at least half, or even to 1/3 as long as it stays clean on a spectrum
analyzer.

>Used VHF equipment in my part of the country is getting next to
>impossible to find.

So look elsewhere.

>My question is. Would it be possible to use an ICOM V8000 2-meter
>mobile radio as my transmitter?

Your original; TX radio burned itself up because it was not
designed to be a continuous duty transmitter.  Do you expect
another intermittent duty transmitter to behave any differently?

Get yourself a radio designed for the job and leave the
intermittent duty mobile radios where they belong - in
mobile service.

>Coming from my controller I need PTT and TX
>audio going into my transmitter. Can this be done with this radio? If
>so, how? I have been told that this is a very rugged radio. My
>repeater is not in continous use. Any help or ideas would be
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Jay

Look at
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3066146376&category=40068>
Note the $600 buy-it-now price.  It may go cheaper.

Bro-Comm has the surplus Canadian high-band repeaters - these are
the cheapest currently available high band factory repeaters. Note that
these were made for 136-151 but will go to 156mhz - and all these
will take is recrystalling (probably under $100) and tuning up.
They come with the power supply option that auto-switches to a
back up battery on a power failure, and charges the battery when AC
is restored.

Look also at
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3066360625&category=296>
If you chose to get an MSR-2000 and add the backup battery you'll need
this - and when I looked it was going for $5 - the connector by itself is
worth twice that and more.

Where else can you get a real factory-built Motorola repeater, set
up on your channel, for $700 ?  Add a real repeater controller like an
Scom 7K, an ACC, a Link or a CAT controller and you have a
complete package.

There are several ways to interface the MSR to a real repeater controller,
one way is here:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/msr2k/msr2k-conversion-k4hal.html

Another way is here:
http://sonic.ucdavis.edu/so02004.html

A third way is here:
http://www.wa8dbw.ifip.com/MSR2000.htm

And if the MSR doesn't fit your needs, look here:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/custombuilt.html

Mike WA6ILQ

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: