At 01:56 PM 1/30/04 +0000, you wrote:

>Any Ideas for an older repeater SQ tail would like to shorten it.

You've essentially said "my car isn't running right, can you
tell me what to do to fix it?"

You really haven't given us enough information to generate a
correct answer.

First is the definition of "old".

I can show you a late 1950s all-tube type repeater that is still in
service today.  A few of the tubes are original, which sets some
kind of record. Is that "old"?  I think so.

I can show you a mid-90s repeater that was replaced a few months
ago because it was "too old".  To me, 5 to 8 years is not "too old".

So if you can tell us what you have, by model number, it will help
us pull out the proper books and help you.  If you don't know, and
you can lay your hands on a digital camera, post some pictures
(in the photo section of this yahoogroup if you want) and then post
a message the points us at them  (If you use the yahoogroup photo
section please name your files something like kf4vgx-1, kf4vgx-2,
kf4vgx-3, etc)

Second is the definition of "squelch tail".

Some people use that term for the burst of noise that is generated
when the other guy unkeys his transmitter and before the receiver
squelch closes.  This is the correct use of the term (I've been told
that Moto used it in their first FM mobile manual).

Others use for the length of time that the transmitter stays on
the air after the squelch closes.  The old term for this was the
"hang in time", the favored term these days seems to be
"carrier delay"

So if you are using the first definition, the duration of the noise burst,
the first thing you can do is see if the adjustment squelch control
has any effect.  Some receivers can have a dual mode squelch - a
short tail on strong signals and a long tail on weak ones.  GE made
a number of receivers where the dual mode squelch was locked in
one mode, and a common mod is to enable the dual mode.
If it doesn't adjust, look for a fixed squelch - I had a Micor station
once where the squelch pot had been replaced with two fixed resistors
mounted inside the unit, on the audio-squelch card.  You could twist
that squelch pot all day long and it was doing absolutely nothing.

A second possibility to shorten the squelch is to change out a few
capacitors in the squelch circuit.  There are other negative
ramifications if you go this route - but you will end up with a short
squelch tail!

A third possible fix is to use a audio delay board - they are used to
chop off the last N number of milliseconds of audio when the squelch
closes.

It will also help if you tell us is you are running the repeater in
carrier squelch or PL.  If you are running a PL system with the
AND or OR mode selector in the OR mode you will have an
agonizingly long tail.  A couple of jumpers will fix that - but we
need to know a few specifics to help you - what RX you have,
what PL decoder you have, and what type of repeater controller
you are using.

If you are using the second definition - that of a too-long carrier
delay - that is a function of the repeater controller.  Let us know
the make and model of the controller and we can help.

Mike WA6ILQ

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: