Hi Kevin,

 I will readily admit that available PM exciters can have all sorts of shortcomings.

The operative word is 'available' or readily available.  While I'll admit that there isn't anything inherently evil with the PM modulation scheme, FM is easy....  We have manufacturers that have built channel elements and ICOM's that have decent modulators in them as well as synthesized radios that modulate FM easily and do a good job as well.  Again, in today's world, FM is easier than redesigning the whole radio around a fancy new PM modulator that has little shortcomings.

Yes, absolutely true!

We know that our little experiments with exciters are basically academic exercises. Synthesis is cheap, solves many problems, offers FM for data applications... It'd be pretty hard to come up with an easier or cheaper scheme today.

The idea was never to advocate PM, it was to uncover the truth in the matter.

Thanks for hosting all the discussions!

73,
Bob