At 4/10/2004 08:24 AM, you wrote:
>Alan,

>I strongly suggest that you enable your repeater's timeout timer and set
>it for no more than three minutes, in accordance with Part 97.213(b).

Part 97.213(b) requires no such timer.  The referenced timer is a
"heartbeat" or "watchdog" timer that is supposed to verify that the remote
control link is available, & is supposed to shut the system down within 3
minutes of failure of that control link.

For public service events, I make sure that all time-out timers on the
systems we use are DISABLED, or are set to very long intervals (1
hour).  Why?  Someone inevitably locks their TX on during the event.  Net
control & most of the field units can usually talk over the locked unit,
since it's almost always an HT strapped to the belt putting a weak signal
into the repeater.  If the TOT is left on & the system times out, the net
is shut down.

Bob NO6B