I don't know what it sounds like from the East Coast, but out West, all
four 10M Repeater pairs are effectively useless, with some repeater
receivers in some locations hearing just fine while others are just barely
hearing enough to kerchunk, playing the "time and date lady", and other
amusing repeater speech of the Repeater talking to itself. Then, the skip
changes slightly  and you go through a repeat of the ones that weren't
accessible before. And now with people trying to use 10-KHz repeater
channel spacing, it's a Real mess, and they get upset sometimes with people
using the standard 20-KHz Repeaters, complaining that they're kerchunking
their 10-KHz non-bandplan repeaters in the process.

The main reason for not using CTCSS on 10-Meter repeaters seems to be that
the repeater owners have the excuse "most of our users don't have
sub-audible tone in their radio, so they can't use the repeater if we put
it in tone squelch." One group said "we can't make a PL Decoder work at
this site." When we offered to help, they turned down our offer and left in
in carrier squelch anyway.

It _used_ to be fun! Every little town (or big City) does NOT need a
10-Meter Repeater! It's not just another band needing "filling up" because
Repeaters are authorized there.

LJ