bredalrv1 wrote:
> Thanks Everyone for the help I appreciated it a lot sounds very
> expensive for the Motorola SecureNet. I have Contacted Transcrypt
> and they said That there SC20-DES Encryption Board would work
> through a Repeater without having to install one on the Repeater
> Site. just wanted to get your guys opinion on it. They said there is
> as Secure as Motorola DES-XL?

It has been several years since I sold their stuff, so my memory is a
bit fuzzy, but Transcrypt has several layers of scrambling that range
from simple audio inversion, all the way to full blown digital audio
rolling code scrambling. They do nothing to the carrier, all of their
products deal strictly with the audio. That, in a nut shell is the
difference between "encryption" and "scrambling" They really are two
separate things..

Advantages to scrambling?

1). All of their scrambled audio will pass through a "regular" repeater
as they have told you, since the carrier remains exactly the same as far
as the repeater is concerned.
2). They make their products for darned near every radio known to man.
If you are integrating scrambling into an existing system, it makes it a
lot easier to sell, since the customer does not have to throw away all
of their radios and start over.
3). If you buy their higher tier product, they have some really neat
features such as OTAR, radio stun, code reset, and a bunch more neat stuff.

One major thing to be aware of is that audio scrambling is a bit harder
to "sync" up upon keyup than digital encryption. We're talking
milliseconds here, but that delay can easily turn a radio transmission
of "DON'T SHOOT" into "SHOOT". In 1999 when I sold their product to a
large police department, I sent them a couple of demo radios for them to
install demo boards into. From the beginning, all parties knew that we
were talking about their highest (at the time) level of scrambler, I
believe it was called the "460" as I recall. When they sent the demos
back to me, we showed them around, and eventually made the sale. Later
on, we discovered that they had sent the demos in with a much lower
level of scrambler in them, because since they were demo'ing the radios,
they wanted to demo a lower tier of scrambling, since it "synched up
faster. We ended up programming delays into the system to accommodate
the keyup time of the radio, the "sync up" time of the portable, and the
MDC1200 unit ID packets which HAD to go first. All in all, they system
worked well, and the PD was happy, but their expectations were
originally to "go scrambled" and stay that way. With all of the extra
overhead at the head of each transmission, they ended up staying in the
clear most of the time unless they had something important to talk about
that they didn't want on the scanners in the town...