Most synthesized pagers, such as the Minitor III and IV, will not
properly decode a tone if there is another component present (PL or
another tone). Anything with reed filters, such as the Min I or II, will
decode just fine. I guess that's what you call 'progress'. There are
companies who used to set the pagers off with half of the 2+2 siren
tones, but now they have to set the pagers off separately since going to
IIIs and IVs.

Joe M.