Michael,

You pose a crucial question:  Which is better, sensitivity or
selectivity?  The Kenwood TKR repeaters are at the low end of
commercial-quality equipment.

I invested in a Hamtronics UHF repeater, thinking it would be a way to
obtain a high-quality repeater on a limited budget.  Boy, was I wrong!
Although it met all of its published specifications, I quickly
discovered that the PA had no circuit to protect and/or regulate its
power, there was no filter to eliminate the CTCSS tones from the audio,
no courtesy beep, Morse ID was extra and NOT programmable, no capability
for CDCSS, etc., etc.

I discovered that a Motorola R1225 transceiver had everything I needed
in a package that cost about 2/3 that of a Hamtronics repeater.  Even
when you add the $265 for the RSS to program the repeater, you are still
money ahead, and have many more features and a lot of built-in
protection.

I will support and defend Hamtronics receivers as being well-built,
economical, and sensitive, but their products seldom meet the stringent
requirements of high-quality repeater components.

Perhaps the lesson to be learned here is that light-weight,
modest-quality equipment will seldom, if ever, perform to the
expectations of those who require professional-quality performance!

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY