Steve,

Our club purchased a 750 from a shop in CA, We had the thing mated to the
controller, tuned up, and have not had a single problem.

I also belong to another group that purchased 7 850's from another dealer in
WA. One of the units did not work correctly and we had to send the unit to
Kenwood for repair. The problem with that was the "dealer" was not an
authorized dealer and the unit was out of warranty the day we purchased it.
We did have some problems with Kenwood, but they did take care of it by
replacing the repeater.

Kenwood position was the unit was sold by an authorized dealer to another
company, that started the warranty period. They were unable to sell it
during the warranty period and the manufactures warranty run out. The dealer
we purchased the unit from advertised as a Kenwood dealer, not a Authorized
Kenwood Dealer. This is what started our problems.

We had to take them to court here in Texas under false advertising laws, and
we won. Kenwood did replace the unit but only after several well worded
letters from our attorney regarding Texas Law. We were not able to get
anything else from Kenwood, but we were able to recover some money from the
dealer that sold us the equipment. The dealer will not sell anything to
anyone in Texas as a result of our lawsuit, and we will not purchase
anything from them ever.

Lucky for us the repeaters have not had a single problem in the 3 years they
have been on the air. This includes the replacement repeater.

If you have not talked to the president of Kenwood USA then I might suggest
that you give him a jingle, also document the problems that you have had and
forward them to the your local BBB and the BBB where they are located. If
they are a member they might be able to help as the BBB does not like to see
there members having problems. They can help in more ways then one.

Good luck

Charles Miller