You beat me by a couple of years.  I built a 22S control system from
TTL that was on Palos Verdes and then later on Onyx Peak (9114
feet). The original controller used octal to set the actual N code
into the 22S, but I later added a 2708 lookup table.  *52 put you on
146.52, *34 put you on 146.34/146.94. Since it was all done by a
lookup table it "knew" the band plan and would automatically select
a repeater split if you dialed an input frequency or simplex on the
output if you dialed an output frequency, etc.  It did "the right
thing" if you dialed *40 (people from L.A. will know that
frequency).  There were commands to force simplex or reverse.  I
can't find the schematic any longer, but I did find a control list
dated 12/79 that was after the lookup table was added.  My best
guess is 1/79 when it first went on the air.  I know my controller
wasn't the first 22S controller as I later compared nodes with Greg
(WB6KCD ?) who that had built a controller before I had.

It also had cw unkey telemetry that sent the frequency in cw when
you unkeyed.  I can't tell you how sick I got of hearing 46 and 52
in cw over and over and ...  It sounded like a good idea at the time.

Boy those were the days ... we had the only ham box on Onyx peak for
a year or so and could hear 3 states ... then a 2 meter repeater was
installed.  The 22S rolled over and died whenever the repeater keyed
up (duh!).

I'm not sure this matches your "fully frequency agile" definition as
the 22s only covered the top 2 Mhz of the band.

73's Skip WB6YMH