One trick on setting up a RX using a improvised sig gen...
After the receiver is tuned into the neighborhood, don't
use the TX in the handheld.  Look up in your owners
manual and find out what the radio uses for the high IF and
calculate what frequency you'd punch into the RX to place
the local oscillator right on the frequency of interest.
Then use the LO as a source for the final tuning.
You may have to use a scanner if your handheld won't
go there.

Mike WA6ILQ