Mike:

It may be more expensive or trouble than you are looking
for, but Paperport Pro 9.0 will allow you to scan
directly to PDF.  You can scan individual pages and
Paperport allows you to "drop" them onto each other
to "stack" them into a multipage document.

I use Paperport 9.0 and it is an extremely useful
program.  After you have scanned, you can edit the
document in the pageviewer mode by erasing or drawing
lines or adding annotations.

With grayscale or color, there is a tool that allows you
to lighten or darken the page.  It works fairly well.
Some color scans of magazine articles will show the
rumples and folds in the paper and this is a way to
take them out.

I have a Fujitsu FI-4120-C which is a duplex scanner
that will do 25 pages per minute at 200 dpi.  I can
scan multiple pages into Paperport, then stack them
or separate them as necessary.

You can also convert to other formats, or you can
import other formats to it.  It also has a native
format .MAX files which was proprietary to Scansoft.
I can simply print these to PDF in Paperport 9.0.
It has both color and monochrome drivers.

I hope this is helpful.

Micheal Salem N5MS