At 08:33 PM 1/20/05, you wrote:

>--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Mike Morris
>WA6ILQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > They were built as cheap as CBs of the era, and
> > on the same production lines.  But we hams built
> > repeaters out of them because that's all there was.
>
>This may be all true, but the proven track record of every 13-509
>repeater & unmodified mobile radio I've worked with makes me conclude
>that they are perfectly acceptable for repeater use.  I once tuned one
>up on a spectrum analyzer - couldn't make it go spurious even if I tried.

Absolutely true.
I tried the same thing, and that is one reason that
when Bill Pasternak came to me and asked for help
on the book that I wasn't too worried about the
13-509 chapters.

> > I really, really suggest that you look at Mitreks and similar
> > newer radios as 220 candidates.  Kevin and Scott Z. have
> > spent untold hours perfecting the 220 Micor and Mastr-II
> > conversions and are GIVING AWAY their technology here.
>
>A properly converted commercial radio might be better in
>the end, but is a lot more work.

Also true - but try and find a 13-509 these days.  Back in the
'80s there were many sources.  These days the '509s are
scarce, and Mitreks are common.  You work with what you
have or can get.

Mike

Mike