From: Mike Morris WA6ILQ [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 6:17 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: DB224 "Loop" Lengths for 145.110 Mhz?

At 03:46 AM 1/24/05, you wrote:

>Mike's suggestion is the best method and the one I would choose. I would
>suspect that this would be the method used by a ham that has no problem
>drilling a hole in his car to mount a mobile antenna. On the other hand,
I'd
>be willing to bet that the "extend the element with a bolt" crowd is the
>same group that uses a mag mount mobile antenna.
>
>Just an observation. You may disagree.
>
>Chuck
>WB2EDV

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Chuck.

To elaborate slightly and to correct what I wrote.....

 > I've also seen a DB224 that was modified by a ham.  He cut
 > the elements just inside the curve and spliced in tubing

I should have said "in the middle of the straight section above
the curve".  The modified antenna had the larger diameter tubing
bridging the gap in the element, and you obviously can't do that
if you've hacksawed the element in the straight section right
above the curve.

 > He used
 > hacksaw cuts tubing and stainless steel hose clamps to verify
 > the lengths.

I meant to type "He used a hacksaw to make the cuts in the
tubing and stainless steel hose clamps to verify the lengths."
It was a Sawzall with the finest-tooth hacksaw blade he could find.

Mike WA6ILQ