Hi Jim,

Kevin Custer wrote:

That would be the case if your station was "stock", but since Reverse Burst is usually not available in the ham circles, it had to be done differently.

Jim B. wrote:

I'm not quite sure what reverse burst has to do with this. I find if the controller is decent, RB still works as it should on repeat audio when in PL, which is all that matters.  I clipped the jumper from the decoder to the sq chip because I wasn't getting the good short Micor squelch with it in, even on a CSQ input.

The part of the mod in question is the fact that logic from the OEM PL decoder goes to the Micor Squelch Chip on the A&S board and when the receiver is decoding PL, forces the squelch open *without regard* to the carrier squelch setting.  Since ham radios don't have reverse burst, cutting this logic line separates the COS and PL signals so they operate independently; which removes the squelch burst at the end of a transmission when a user is encoding PL without RB.  This is done by cutting jumper JU204 on the A&S board; as you have found.

So, you see, that's what reverse burst has to do with it, because if all ham rigs had reverse burst, we wouldn't have to cut JU204.

As a comment to Jim and anyone else, I used the PL disable switch and
the transistor associated with it (on the station control card) as the
F1 channel element switch. That way I have a positive tx disable on the
front panel-with an idiot light that comes on when disabled. The switch
grounds the base of the transistor, and keeps the F1 transmit element
from coming on.

That's one way of doing it, however there are times where we modify Stations and want to use the PL Disable switch as intended; so I do it a bit differently, to accomplish the same result:
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/stationcontrol.html>

Kevin Custer