Mike Perryman wrote:

>Yep,
>
>I use a mkIIg turned down as low as it will go, and constantly bring up
>Kevin's Mays Hill repeater (KQ3M I think?) from my QTH in Stafford, VA
>while trying to access our local machine.  I also seem to open his machine
>a lot running mobile from around 40 miles South of Wash. - D.C.  I have run
>a path profile, and we do not have "line-of-sight", not even close!!  Must
>be ducting or something.  Frequently I hear his at S-7 or more!!
>
>Sorry to be a pest Kevin..
>
>Lots of un-explained things in this world, we just try to live with each
>others "contribution".
>
>Mike
>K5JMP

The KQ3M repeater is located near Meyersdale PA on the Allegheny Front
at a place called the Hay's Mill Fire Tower, which I privately own.
It's the 3rd highest repeater in Pennsylvania on 2M at just over 3000
feet.  It runs a coordinated power level of 250 watts into the
duplexer.  The antenna is a Sinclair SRL-229 cut for the middle of the
ham band an is 85 feet to the middle of the array.  My site is SUPER
QUIET, I really am blessed, and with the tube PA, I have no problems
running a FET preamp in front of the Micor RX, even with only a 4 cavity
WACOM 641, and no additional filtering.

I make no bones about it, its a wide area coverage repeater, and it works...
When you invest the time, money, and effort into a great site, you'll
have a repeater that will work beyond the expectations of some.  The
repeaters main receiver works so well, even at 250 watts transmitter
power the machine is balanced when using a 50 watt Japanese mobile
radio.  The remote sites are down right now because Scott Zimmerman and
I are designing a new voter, and I sold the old one.

Believe me Mike, you aren't a pest.  If bringing up the machine bothers
you (causes you heterodyne at an uncomfortable level) or other members
of the community locally, I'll PL the KQ3M repeater, or I may choose to
run Anti PL if you folks are encoding for access to your own repeater.
I use 123.0 Hertz, hope you don't...

The site and equipment is detailed on these pages:
<http://www.shol.com/kuggie/ahra/>
<http://www.shol.com/kuggie/ahra/hmft.html>
<http://www.shol.com/kuggie/ahra/hmftinfo.html>
<http://www.qrz.com/kq3m>