At 10:52 AM 3/24/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>At 3/24/2005 06:54 AM, you wrote:
>>Well, for things like this, I have built myself a serial snooper.  Its
>>basically a serial cable that has the output split so that you can plug it
>>in as usual to whatever you are hooking together and then the 3rd port
>>goes to another computer running Telix or some terminal.  Then you can
>>operate the device as usual and see the control commands come out in the
>>terminal.  After some playing around you can figure out their scheme and
>>what you need to send it to do what.  I have used this to figure out
>>proprietary formats for lots of things and it works well.  Most reecently
>>there was a telephone call box that used a computer with the companys own
>>software to control it.  I wanted to control it with a PIC instead of a PC
>>so I asked the company for their commands and formats etc. which they
>>would not give.  So, I snooped and in less than a day I had thrown their
>>software in the trash and my PIC was working great.  If I were you I would
>>snoop on Doug Halls two serial lines going into the Kenwood radio.  I am
>>sure you can figure out what you need to send that way.  Sounds like a
>>great problem, if I had one of those radios I would try it myself.  Hope
>>this helps.

<----While I'm not intimately familiar with the protocols of the older
Kenwoods, Kenwood has historically used 9600 baud for its mobile radios'
serial data. I know for a fact all the newer ones do (TM-V7, g707, V708,
TM-271A). This is the easy part.....

The problem comes from Kenwood NOT having any sort of "standard" in the
protocol used. When we coded up the control code for these radios for our
controllers, we used a port sniffer to figure out the protocol used for the
various (and totally undocumented!) commands.

While Bob brings up an interesting point about SPI, I really don't think
this is the case. Then again, I've been wrong before :-) However it should
be easy enough to figure out with a working RBI-1 and a 'scope.

Ken
President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of state-of-the-art repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.ah6le.net/arcom/index.html
We now offer complete Kenwood TKR repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net