Ken Arck wrote:

> At 09:27 PM 4/13/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>

>>I think that is what I was getting to as well, if there was a way to limit
>>the incoming audio, or like it was put, hope the other users lets the louder
>>ones know they are too loud.  As for the system, the audio levels are set
>>just right for about 95% of the users.
>

> <---I think many are either not listening or not grasping the concept here :-)
>
> It is not a matter of "perceived" deviation nor is it a matter of incoming
> levels. It is not because some users might be using an Icom and others are
> using a Kenwood.
>
> Since the deviation levels mentioned were actually measured, it is obvious
> that the transmitter is being to 6 Khz deviation on occasion and the only
> way this is going to happen (assuming the deviation limiter circuitry is
> working properly and I see no reason it shouldn't be) is because the level
> from the controller to the transmitter is not set correctly and probably
> neither is the deviation control.
>
> Period.
>
> Ken

That's exactly right. One does NOT set the repeat level on a repeater to
what 'sounds right for the majority of users'. That will GUARANTEE
splatter and excessive deviation, especially if you have a number of
users who use older japanese rigs, and also spend a lot of time on SSB
(louder is better...)

A local repeater, which was a few miles down the road from where I lived
at the time, had been set up so that 'it sounded good' on the 'tech
guys' old Heath 2026, which had a VERY broad detector (mod acceptance
was out around 10-12 Khz). I measured peaks well in excess of +/-15-18
Khz! Oh, btw, it was a Maggiore repeater. A freind of mine who worked
for Motorola volunteered to set up the levels, and once he did, it
wasn't splattering into adjacent channels anymore, but average levels
were really low (poor audio design in the transmitter), so they went
back in and turned it up. I bitched again, the moto guy came back and
re-set it, and in a week it got turned back up again. Finally, they
junked the Maggiore (and tossed the guy that was working on it) and
somehow got a Micor mobile, which I set up for them. No problems after that.

Ken, your comment about 'assuming the deviation limiter circuitry is
working properly' is appropriate here, since he is using a Maggiore, and
  they are notorious for poor design in that regard, along with every
other made-for-ham repeater. Poor transmit audio limiting, and
inadequate rx limiting, resulting in poor noise rejection.

--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL