The problem with the stability is that most of these were constructed
using a Galvinised steel rod to set the tuning correct?  Try a
replacing it with a more similar metal to copper like brass or copper
threaded rod if you can find it. or a plastic rod that has good
tempreture charecteristics.  What would be ideal are some threaded
bushings with set screws and then the rod doesn't need to be threaded.