First look at the repeater-builder.com website under Motorola, then Maxtrac.
There is a manual power control mod that is worth looking at.  In many
cases the power control routines lose control on out-of-range frequencies,
and run the radio wide open.  This behavior is most commonly seen on
UHF and on 900mhz.

Secondly, I've looked at the possibility of modding a UHF 406-420 Maxtrac
down to any level that would allow continuous duty and I lost interest ...
it's easier to find a D04 or D03 series Maxtrac on ebay or elsewhere, and
either use the 25w as a base or as a mobile.

Look at a Mitrek.   The mod there is simpler.  In my "Interfacing" article
on the Mitrek page I show a high band mobile extender and how Moto
mounted a separate TX antenna jack.
In the photo it also shows how they bypassed the final stage (with
a piece of wire jumpering the base to the collector pads on the PC board).

Mike WA6ILQ