In the February 1994 issue of MRT there was an article by Carl
Ebinger of the Dade County Radio Shop who made some interesting
claims about improving the performace of the SpectraTAC systems used
by Dade Co. EMS. His article claimed that he could improve the
performance of the SQM by the addition of $0.25 (1994$) in parts to
each SQM. He described how there was too much voice getting into
the noise detection circuitry which was causing falsing.

Unfortunately, when I tried to track the details down [circuit left
out of article] I found that Carl was a Silent Key and, thus out of
range. Talking to several others in the shop, including Susie and
Joe Harper, did not lead me to the schematic of the modification.
Carl had been working with TRN6091A SQMs so I am wondering if
Motorola incorporated his improvements into later revision SQMs.

Before I begin badgering the Dade County Radio Shop again I thought
I would ask here if any of you were familiar with the article and
Carl's work.

He did say that he improved performance by removing JU-6 and
installing JU-5 in the secondary line drivers of the three
subcomparators. This shortened the Status Tone return delay from
550 msec to 90 msec which improved weak signal noise detector
falsing at the master comparator.

Thanks,

Bruce
WA6YLV