The easiest way to tell would be to measure the AC
current draw in idle. Then measure the DC current draw
in idle.

You can get a pretty close watt figure by multiplying
the amps times the voltage (115v) on the input side,
and doing the same thing on the DC side. The
difference between the two is your wasted heat. If you
convert the watts to kilowatts (divide by 1000), then
multiply your results by 8760, that will tell you the
number of wasted KWH in one year.

Example: .72 amps draw at 115 volts, 1.3 amps draw at
13.5 volts.  .72 x 115 = 83 watts in. 1.3 x 13.5 =
17.5 watts delivered. This means 65.5 watts are
wasted, or about 574 KWh/year.

Joe

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs