>--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Otterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I thought that police radar was licensed under Part 90...

This IS correct, radar uses a transmitter and ALL transmitters are
required to be licensed. I am sure he does not have a license.

> >Having a radar unit is perfectly legal.
> >
> >Fred
 > Maybe 'having it' is ok, but using it is not legal. Maybe he thinks
>he is covered by being a licensed ham????????

        Sorry, but if it transmits in the amateur authorized portion of the
microwave band, it IS legal. Just because it "may" set off a nearby radar
detector doesn't make it illegal, because the radar detector is a RECEIVER that
is supposed to pick up microwave signals.(...and it's not necessary to have a
license for a receiver, except for those states that make it illegal to
specifically use a radar detector in a vehicle for the purpose of avoiding
getting caught speeding). And radar detectors, especially the cheaper ones, are
fairly broadbanded, so they will trip on signals that aren't necessarily true
radar signals. I have read of some being set off by harmonics from a nearby
amateur 440 MHz or 900 MHz transmitter.
        Regardless of what the vehicle LOOKED like, the focus of the legal
situation is going to be whether or not the person was deliberately attempting
to look or act like law enforcement, something none of us can determine by
looking at a picture.

Kenneth Buley
Bullitt County EMA Deputy Director CD-2
Bullitt/Spencer Counties Red Cross ECRV Driver/Operator BC-6
Bullitt County ARES/RACES Coordinator KY4DES

"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in
a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality."