I just had an experience at work with battery problems.  I work for a wireless
company and we use 105 amp lead acid cells in a series-paralel configuration,
12 volt cells, three 48 volt strings.  I was at the site last week and detected
the smell (and taste) of overcharging batteries.  I learned a trick in my old
"Bell Head" days to open my mouth and inhale while in the battery room of
central offices.  This was taught to me by and old time technician.  If a
battery is overcharging, you will detect a strange taste on your tongue that
you learn to remember, that also warns you of the possibility of explosive
gasses in the area.

In the cellsite, I found one of the 48 volt strings very warm and the battery
cases of all 4 batteries  buckling and swelling.  A voltage test showed one
battery reading 10.5 volts instead of 13.5 volts.  This indicated a shorted
cell in that 12 volt battery.  I ventilated the room, put on safety glasses,
and disconnected the sting from the other two strings. The entire string will
have to be replaced.

This is an example of what can happen to a series battery.  I would discourage
you from using parallel batteries on a repeater, one large battery would be a
much better and safer choice.  We do use parallel batteries at work, but
routine maintenance is required to keep them safely operating.

73, Joe, K1ike