At 04:36 AM 12/20/2005 -0000, you wrote:

>It's probably PM, not FM....

<---I seriously doubt it. The amount of phase shift (and hence deviation)
that could be introduced at the final frequency and from that small amount
of reactance has got to be negligible.

Don't forget that in both PM and FM schemes, the modulation is done early
on and multiplied. So for a typical multiplication scheme of x 9, the
modulation introduced only needs to be 550 Hz or so (for a 5 Khz spec). And
even a paultry 550 Hz requires a fair amount of audio voltage to accomplish.

Ken
President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of state-of-the-art repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.ah6le.net/arcom/index.html
We offer complete Kenwood TKR repeater packages!
We are now an authorized Telewave Dealer!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net