> My question on the addition of the filter is...  Why do you feel
the
> necessity to add the filter in the first place?
> If you are experiencing a problem, tell us the symptoms.  If you
aren't
> experiencing a problem, then consider not adding the filter as any
> loss's ahead of the preamp cannot be overcome by its use.

Yes, I know..

I'm just being pre-emptive.
I'm getting ready for a MAJOR overhaul of our existing system, as in
empty the cabinet.  I know there are paging transmitters close by,
and I'm expecting to see an impairment there.  If I'm pleasantly
surprised, well.. That will take care of itself. :)

The goal of course is to get as much performance as I can, out of the
lame site and antenna, until such time as we get a different site.

I have several different amplifiers, and filter options.
The filter that I was thinking of using there, is a Sinclabs four
cavity filter that's about 1 foot square and 3 inches thick. I've
measured the bandpass at about 2 MHz, with nice attenuation outside
the band. So putting this between the cans and the preamp cleans me
up in both directions, at the cost of about 1.5dB.  I don't know that
I need to be cleaned up in the transmit direction, the TX's are
crystal controlled with two helical filters inside, so maybe I
shouldn't even think of putting this on the outside of the cans..