Hello Chuck, I think I may have the same genset you
have as mine was put into service in the mid 80's. My
genset runs off of a 5ft tall propane cylinder which
holds about 80lbs of fuel, hard to remember as I
haven't needed to fill it since the 90's.

If you have easy access to your genset you could use a
simple heating blanket to keep your genset warm or use
a homemade heat sink with a resistor loaded up to keep
the main body warm.

Since my site is 20 some miles away I use a homemade
resistor/heatsink attached to the main block to keep
mine warm to start on a thermister.

Although my genset has a self-starter onboard when the
AC mains fail to keep the repeater batteries fully
charged.

I use a bank of 10 each group 31 Optima batteries in
combination to the genset to keep all the repeaters
running off battery. Actually all the repeaters run on
battery from the start so we have no switching issues,
just need to keep the battery bank charged either from
AC or genset.

Group 31 Deep cycle battery:

"http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/commercial.html";

Hope this helps.