You can buy an 8D semi truck battery from Sams Club
for $99 (as seen during my last visit some time back).

A similar capacity deep cycle battery runs 3x more
money typical.

If you keep the 8D battery cool and without abuse, you
can easily get a few years use and replace it every
2 to 3 years and not worry about it failing.

If you compare the discount cost of Auto/Truck batteries
vs the higher cost of some specialized deep cycle batteries,
you can make a case for using the cheaper auto/truck units
and changing them out more often (in years) to increase
reliability.

Also keep in mind the really high-end deep cycle "Station
Batteries" can remain in full service for decades.

cheers,
skipp

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> At 1/14/2006 10:14, you wrote:
>
> > > Given that batteries used in backup service rarely get cycled at
all,
> > > wouldn't car batteries be a more cost-effective choice?
(assuming the