-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Nate Duehr
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:35 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Squeeling Problem Resolved!! (I hope)

Bob Dengler wrote:
> At 1/19/2006 08:17 AM, you wrote:
>> Ok guys I think I resolved the squeeling problem. I Got to the site
>> this morning while guys were using the rptr and the problem was
>> existing. When tuning the PA awhile back I noticed if you went to far
>> one way it would oscillate (feedback, whatever) or go spurrious. Where
>> I thought was the proper setting was just on the edge of this. I
>> retuned the PA and all cleared up. Even cleaned up Rec'd  audio just a
>> bit.
>> This has been happening more in the early mornings. May be the frost,
>> dampness on the antenna created a slight impedence mismatch. Using a
>
> If slight antenna impedance changes are causing your PA to oscillate, your
> PA needs servicing or replacement.  At the very least you need an isolator
> on the PA output so it "sees" 50 ohms across the band.
>
> Bob NO6B

Correction:

All good quality repeater installations should have an isolator on them
to keep other RF from entering the PA from external sources and causing
various problems.

Ham repeaters should not be lower quality than commercial installations.

:-)

(All of our commercial 2-way and broadcast sites now have isolators
listed as required equipment in the contracts these days anyway, so it's
not an option for us to leave them off, anyway.  Hams in rural areas
with no other transmitters on the sites don't know how good they have it...)

Nate WY0X