MaxTracs don't like running below about 1/4 their
rated power. Power control is erratic and they tend to
get dirty at the lower levels. You'd be better off
with a low power radio and an attenuator between it
and your PA to drop the level down to 1/2 watt. The
MaxTrac will still get hot, so you'll need a good fan
blowing on the heatsink, and probably on the
attenuator as well.

The bare exciter RF output is around +20dBm on a good
day, according to the service manual. That's only
100mW - close but no cigar.

Bob M.
======

http://mail.yahoo.com