A M-120 or GM-300 would be a better choice for your TX radio. Maxtrac
radios do not have any PA thermal feedback to the contol board, where the
newer radios do. The Maxtrac will have to be fooled into thinking it is a
136-162 MHz radio before the power control circuit will work below 146 MHz.
This requires blanking the logic board and re-initializing it as a
low-split radio.

Another other option is to use a LM-317 and build an adjustable regulator to
drive the power control line going to the PA.

One other nasty habit the Maxtrac radios have is that when continously
keyed for more than about 9 minutes, the controller will run the TX power
down, eventually cutting the PA completely off. This "feature" is built into
the radio firmware to "protect" the PA because there is no monitoring of
the PA deck temprature. Using the external regulator gets around this
problem also.

Hope this info helps. 73,

Kevin, K9HX