Ray,

I may be able to be of assistance in this area....  grab a cup of decaf, and
read on...

It sounds as if these guys are working on a buffer based system.  AS FM
Broadcasting rules have been referenced before, we will call this approach
the 73.207 approach, which is a "minimum distance" type of spacing system.
Even the Commission allows "contour protection" based applications under
73.215.

The first item to approach is to be absolutely sure you are making a valid
request.  This will require very accurate parameters to begin the studying
process, and you may be required  to contact the repeater trustee directly
to gain this information.  Try to sell them the idea that you want to be a
good neighbor, and protect their existing coverage...  not encroach upon it.
If you get the surrounding trustees on board, it will work to your
advantage.

I would suggest terrain along a minimum of 36 radials, using a minimum of
3-arc-second data.  In mountainous terrain, you should increase the
resolution to 360 radials, and possibly even Longley-Rice studies to support
your request.  I do have 1-arc-second data, but it can be somewhat
overwhelming to try to use for large areas of study.

I had to produce a ton of studies for my 6m pair.  I based my studies on
ERP, HAAT, and the report by Roger B. Cary (which the Commission considers
to be the "Radio-Rosetta" when it comes to LMR allocations).  Then the
coordinating council in my area had a database crash, and used a 3 yr old
back-up to try and recover.  My pair has since been re-allotted to another
nearby location.  Hence, I will be re-visiting this mess once again.  When I
made my pleading the coordinators were so overwhelmed with accurate data
that they didn't possess... that the President of T-MARC asked me to take on
the job...  I declined.  Just too much on my plate to assume the position,
and I am not really too hip to the politics they employ.

I don't recall the exact signal levels at this time, but I can provide a
copy of the Carey Report to any interested parties and for posting on the
RBTIP.  The methods in this report are based on D-to-U ratios and reasonably
valid propagation curves.  In other words..  sound engineering practice.
You will need accurate data as well as cooperation of your neighboring
repeater owners to accomplish this.

To make a long story short, I have come across many instances in 26 yrs of
Broadcast Consulting where a "purple cow" (an old Commission Staff term for
something that could allow an exception to the standing rules) would exist.

As far as I know, there has only been one instance of a waiver for minimum
field for an AM facility granted, and only one instance of a Television
"Duopoly" (overlap of the Grade B signal level by the same owner)ever being
granted.  Both were signed by a guy named Perryman...  wonder who that guy
is anyway?? <grin>!  They both took monumental effort.

Bottom line, armed with the proper guidelines (the Carey Report) and ensuing
research (proof of your "Purple Cow") based on good engineering practice, a
coordinating body has no reason not to grant the request.  Unless, of
course, they don't understand the engineering behind your pleading.  If you
tactfully educate them in your presentation of the facts, you should be able
to work around that issue as well.

While the coordinating guidelines in your area may be woefully antiquated,
you have a much better chance of convincing these guys of the validity of
your request, than trying to change the way they do business.

Let me know if I can be of assistance in researching your pleadings..

 73
Mike Perryman
www.k5jmp.us