At 2/15/2006 09:41 AM, you wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Did you try the V7A with AIP on?  I have a G707 (very similar RF
> > construction IIRC) & found it's performance similar: very sensitive RX but
> > horrible IMD performance: spur free dynamic range with AIP off is only 61
> > dB, which is on par with some of my HTs.  Turning on AIP raises it to ~70
> > dB while only losing maybe 3 dB of sensitivity, which is OK but my
> > FT-8500's SFDR is a couple dB better than that.
>
>Ok, I'll bite-what's AIP? I have a G707, and don't remember seeing
>anything labeled like that.

"Advanced intercept point".  Reduces gain in front-end, increasing the
spur-free dynamic range while only degrading noise figure by a modest
amount (see above).  Hit the function button followed by the dimmer button
to toggle it on & off.

>And intermod doesn't seem to be much of a problem with it. Much better
>then the 80's vintage ham stuff.

I beg to differ.  61 dB SFDR is 61 dB SFDR.  Put two signals more than 61
dB above the radio's noise floor into the RF input & they will mix.  Even
the old Icom IC-47A had it beat by a couple of dB in my
measurements.  "Acceptable" SFDR in my book is better than 72 dB.

>Course, intermod isn't what it used to be either. Through the late 70's,
>80's, and early 90's, you couldn't drive through downtown Cleveland
>without hearing intermod on 2M or UHF. With ANY radio. Not a MastrII,
>not a Micor. NOTHING was immune to all those 1/3KW IMTS/paging transmitters.

Makes me wonder if they were mixing within their transmitters, emitting
on-channel crud.

Bob NO6B