Should be simple.  RX audio out, TX Audio In, Ground and COS voltage.

Both 1200 and 9600 BPS data out, so I believe you would have a choice of
conditioned or unconditioned audio.

Two transistor switches and some audio level matching and you are
cross-linked.

The same cable could go between any DR-x35 rigs.

Same situation for data out connectors (mini DIN)  on Yaesu and Kenwood.

I have taken part in and witnessed in-band repeater using 2 Yaesu
FT-1500 and split antennas at the same site.

A 20.00 fox-hunt IDer kit will add the minimal daily requirements for
ID, Courtesy tone, etc...

Needless to say, this is not a 100% duty cycle device, but low power
operation will allow it to go a long way.

One-way Cross-banding or linked sites running a one-way repeat setup
greatly reduce heat build-up and high duty-cycle.

In addition to building repeaters, isn't this the experimental
communication back-up systems that is a vital part of our involvement in
Ham radio?

I have had a lot of fun and it has been a real learning experience -
Trying to exhast all the possible cross-band and linked system operation
avaialble with off-the-shelf radios.

David
KD4NUE