Hi all on the group:

  If you get get ahold of the SBE good luck i am looking to take some
of the low level certifaction tests  than become a Extra Class. i
have tried to email the local SBE testing guy no luck.

Being in ham radio for the last 12 years i have noticed a lot of
things change and the license thing is on of the many for the good. i
can't wait to see HD Radio on the sprectum ( having the ablity to
know who is who with picking up there RDS anyways,

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Neal Newman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>  Hey Mark
>
>  The SBE needs to rethink the  Amateur Certification For Extra .
> The Extra is No longer the  Same technically as it once was.
>  The SBE should Consider the Advanced Class For their Certification
level
>  since it is No longer Given  and anyone that has the Advanced can
> really say it was the last
> real technical Exam that the FCC gave.
> anyone  who now who passes the Extra. its Not the same as the old
days
> Its a joke....
>  Might as well Buy one at the local five and dime store
>
> Flame suit now ON..
> Neal
>

> Mark A. Holman wrote:
>
> > FYI   I will say the State 2 way Tech in charge of the 800 Mhz
system
> > was passed to Extra some time back  also SBE reconizes Extra
Class as
> > some good background in Broadcast Electronics,  I am a SBE  CRO
tell
> > you what that and the Television Operators Exam are pertty neat
> > things like Meter readings in Killovolts, tower lighting
requirements,
> > Logging requirements some of it now is on a printer  I dont think
> > anyone will need to read a KV meter but its great info.
> >
> > BTW  for anyone taking some DL classes in Electronics who want
more
> > out of it yes I would reccomend anyone besides never hurts to
expand
> > your knowledge!
> >
> > Im 50 and persuing a Degree myself in Electronics & enjoying it.
> >
> > mark h.
> >

> > Mathew Quaife wrote:
> >
> >> Hmmm, IGNORE IGNORANCE AND IT WILL GO AWAY!.    It's like a
Salary,
> >> everyone get's paid the same, some work harder than others, but
in
> >> the end, it's the Salary that we are after.  SO who cares if I
work
> >> harder than the guy next to me, it's what I agreed upon.
> >>
> >> So if I understand here, just because they took out the tubes
section
> >> of the GROL exam, does that mean the newer Techs are no good.
Things
> >> change.  Ask them if they would prefer to drive the old car that
got
> >> 10 miles to the gallon, bet not.
> >>
> >> Oh Well.  Get that license anyways and have fun.  It's HAM RADIO!
> >>

> >> Coy Hilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >>     I have a question for you Nate, Why is that when a OLD Extra
> >>     mentions that they passed the 20 WPM exam that everyone who
hasn't,
> >>     passed it jumps on them like they are child molesters?
> >>
> >>     As long as a person passes what ever exam required at the
time, they
> >>     are okay in my book for what ever class license that they
have. I
> >>     just don't like people making remarks about people who have
acheaved
> >>     something when they haven't.
> >>
> >>     Elitist? No! Just proud of our acheavments. I proved to
MYSELF that
> >>     I can do what ever I set my mind to. After all putting the
old brain
> >>     to a project from time to time won't hurt anyone. I have
done a lot
> >>     of things in my life just for the experiance of it.
> >>
> >>     I haven't been on HF except for once a year for five or six
years.
> >>     I own several repeaters VHF and UHF and support Echolink on
them. I
> >>     enjoy the folks who I have met on Echolink Tech or Extra
doesn't
> >>     matter to me I just like to talk and do a bit of rag chewing.
> >>
> >>     73 to all
> >>     AC0Y
> >>

> >>     --- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Nate Duehr wrote:
> >>     >
> >>     > jrinnebraska wrote:
> >>     >
> >>     > > One of the VE's commented that she was to be
congratulated for
> [...]
my run
> >>     in
> >>     > with an elitist idiot.
> >>     >
> >>     > (Side-note: I've had run ins with elitists who deserved to
act
> >>     that way
> >>     > -- they were intelligent beyond their years and knew how
to try to
> >>     keep
> >>     > their boredom with us "normal" people in check... and I
understood
> >>     them
> >>     > to some extent... this story isn't about one of those
people.
> >>     It's
> >>     > about a person with a really bad attitude.)
> >>     >
> >>     > -----
> >>     >
> >>     > There's a VE group that tests 1 BLOCK from my house at a
public
> >>     library.
> >>     >
> >>     > One day I figured I'd send them an e-mail and offer to
help out if
> >>     they
> >>     > ever needed it. I could literally walk down the hill and
be there
> >>     in 5
> >>     > minutes, if I stopped to talk to the neighbors. It's that
close.
> >>     >
> >>     > I logically thought that hey, they might need another
qualified
> >>     Extra
> >>     > Class to help out from time to time... why not let them
know I
> >>     live
> >>     > nearby? Maybe I'd even make it my Saturday morning
activity...
> >>     walk to
> >>     > the library, give tests... why not?
> >>     >
> >>     > The head of the group sent back an e-mail that still curls
my toes
> >>     > this day -- it started with "Hi there, I see from your
call sign
> >>     that
> >>     > you must be a REAL Extra."
> >>     >
> >>     > And it got worse from there.
> >>     >
> >>     > Additionally, in his e-mail he pointed out that he needed
someone
> >>     to "go
> >>     > stand in line to get the room every month" for the local
library
> >>     > authority, to reserve the room, and...
> >>     >
> >>     > He also pointed out that they also give commercial radio
tests and
> >>     if I
> >>     > wasn't interested in learning enough to pass and give
those tests,
> >>     > wasn't needed.
> >>     >
> >>     > Then he continued on saying he was short of volunteers.
Gee, I
> [...]
> >>     met like
> >>     > that -- is a complete and utter fool and doesn't deserve
my time --
> >>     and
> >>     > isn't helping the hobby any, other than perhaps by
licensing new
> >>     people
> >>     > with better attitudes.
> >>     >
> >>     > Three, I'm not in the slightest way interested in giving or
> >>     getting any
> >>     > commercial licensing. I'm a hobbyist, trying to volunteer
within
> >>     my hobby.
> >>     >
> >>     > -----
> >>     >
> >>     > This is a current and still operating ARRL VE Team. They
make the
> >>     ARRL
> >>     > VE organization look bad, regularly, I'm sure. I told him
so, and
> >>     good
> >>     > day.
> >>     >
> >>     > I'll spend my time running a ham club, working on the
repeaters,
> >>     > volunteering for anything needed with the frequency
coordination
> >>     group,
> >>     > running servers for IRLP, chatting on every radio I have
from DC
> >>     > Daylight, a little VHF contesting and 40M SSB once in a
while...
> >>     >
> >>     > And generally staying the HELL away from his attitude and
his VE
> >>     team.
> >>     >
> >>     > > My feeling is each to his/her own--whatever mode you
wish to use
> >>     is
> >>     > > fine, as long as you are licensed for it. But comments
like the
> >>     above
> >>     > > and commonly are made by the hard core "elite" is just
another
> >>     of many
> >>     > > reasons why this hobby continues to die a slow,
lingering death,
> >>     due
> >>     > > to a lack of new blood.
> >>     >
> >>     > Yep. Damn right.
> >>     >
> >>     > Sorry I wasn't just on the soapbox, you got me to jump up
onto the
> >>     > ledge. Climbing down now...
> >>     >
> >>     > (Just the mention of the words "VE Team" around me in
person sets
> >>     me
> >>     > off, too. Sorry.)
> >>     >
> >>     > Nate WY0X
> >>     >

> >>     Yahoo! Groups Links

-------
> >> Brings words and photos together (easily) with

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/PMall/*http://photomail.mail.
yahoo.com>
> >> - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.
> >

> >--