I recall reading somewhere that the SINAD measurement
is the residual signal after the 1kHz tone has been
filtered out. Assuming you have a full-quieting input
signal with 3kHz deviation and you've notched that
out, there snould be nothing left to measure. As the
signal gets noisier, the harmonics (if any) and the
noise will be measurable. When that level gets to 12dB
below the no-signal noise level, you've reached the
point of 12dB SINAD. This is a very simplified
explanation, and the 1kHz tone is used as the
reference level.

A distortion analyzer is basically the same thing. A
narrow filter notches out the fundamental, and the
voltmeter reads what's left. HP331, 332, 333, and 334
units are fairly cheap and they can do triple duty as
an AC voltmeter, distortion analyzer, and SINAD meter.

The necessity of notching the 1kHz tone is what makes
the 12dB SINAD measurement more difficult than the
20dB quieting method, but the SINAD method takes into
consideration any distortion of the demodulated
signal, which is certainly going to be audible. The
20dBQ method just goes for a reduction of wideband
noise.

With that audio spectrum analyzer, adjust it for full
scale on the fundamental, and look at the noise and
any harmonics. Increase the RF signal level until this
drops to 25% (1/4) of the level of the 1kHz tone. This
will be the 12dB SINAD point, assuming that the
wideband noise etc doesn't add up to more than the
-12dB signal amplitude. Once you calibrate your
equipment with a real SINAD setup, you should be able
to continue using the audio SA.

A poor-man's SINAD would have an adjustable amplifier,
a relatively sharp filter at 1 kHz, and a voltmeter
following it. This might be easier to come up with
than a real SINAD meter.

I'm still an old-timer, and I prefer the 20dBQ method
because it's easier to reproduce and only requires a
simple AC Voltmeter. Plus, I've learned that on
MaxTracs, this level of quieting occurs when all the
crackles on a dead carrier disappear. I don't even
need a meter. If nothing else, it gives me a way of
comparing one radio to another just by feeding in a
weak signal.

Bob M.
======

http://mail.yahoo.com