Two things come to mind.  First, it could be counting a spur - this might get past a notch duplexer - How is performance - if there is much power in a spur it should be working pretty poorly.

Second, are you using a talkie to key the repeater - combination of two signals might cause the counter to go nuts.

The key would be if the performance is really poor.

gl, steve nu5d