Sure sounds like a case of the squelch being way too
tight.

Motorola tends to want 20dB quieting signals before
opening the repeater squelch. That's great for
commercial customers who only want clear
communications, but for hams, it's a disaster.

I'd suggest a site visit with some test equipment and
a screwdriver. Verify the basic receiver sensitivity
and adjust the squelch to threshold.

Bob M.
======