wa9zzu wrote:
> --- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "skipp025" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> Re: Reverse Burst Comments (Com Spec RB-1)
>>
>> If you add a circuit like the Com Spec RB-1 board to the typical
>> repeater system using a ts-32/ts-54 board... the tx ctcss is not
>> disabled or removed before the RB-1 delayed ptt line drops.
>>
>> So you have the phase inverted ctcss present for at most up to
>> 200 ms typical before the tx drop.  If you don't remove the ctcss
>> source the inverted ctcss remains up until the tx off/drop...
>>
>> Any of you actually running the RB-1 board with a true reverse
>> burst type ctcss decoder (built into your radio)? Is a true
>> reverse burst decoder in your commercial radio completely "fooled"
>> by the phase inverted ctcss before carrier drop function.
>>
>> Or do you actually still hear some minor difference from the
>> rb-1 type operation vs an original true Motorhead (Motorola)
>> encoder - decoder operation?
>>
>> Thinking out-loud about having to possibly mute the ctcss at some
>> time after invert and before the delayed ptt drop as a requirement
>> to get the full/true reverse burst quiet squelch close.
>>
>> Any of you been down that road already?
>>
>> skipp
>>
> Skipp,
> I find your comments interesting in that the purpose that Motorola
> had in using "reverse burst" of the PL tone was to quickly damp the
> mechanical reed in the PL decoder to close the squelch and eliminate
> the user from hearing the noise burst. But of course you knew that.
> However, in later model radios there is no mechanical vibrating reed
> to abruptly dampen and stop the vibrating from being detected. So
> where is the need for a inverted burst if there are no receivers
> using mechanical reeds as PL tone decoders?
> Incidently Motorola did not use an inverted reverse burst of 180
> degrees. Their designs used 270 degrees since the PL reed then
> stopped vibrating faster and the amplitude of the burst was also
> increased to hasten the reed to stop.
> Don't modern day receivers use electronic circuitry to detect PL
> tones, and aren't the detectors not using a ringing decoder? If so
> isn't the purpose of having a "reverse burst" unnecessary?
> I can remember many years ago that some hams used a circuit which
> they refered to as "polish PL" which turned off the PL tone before
> the xmtr dropped and had no "reverse burst". It seems like I'm
> hearing more of the same.
> Where am I going wrong here?
> Allan Crites

The problem with just turning the tone off is that most all decoders
take a MUCH longer time to just coast to a stop, rather then be told
'I'm about to go off the air, close now'.

Digital squelch (CDCSS, or DPL in Motorola terms, DCG for GE folks)
sends a short burst of 133hz tone for the same purpose-to let the
decoder know that the transmission is over and to close.

And everything I saw had Motorola's original R/B at 120 degrees, not 270.

But as someone wise once said, "I could be wrong."
--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL