Coordinators are a savvy lot (well, some of them are), and they know
that sometimes a fellow will repeatedly claim that his gear is on the
air when in fact it is not.  So, they want to be able to kerchunk the
thing for themselves.  Even if it's closed, the PL tone should be in
their files and they should be able to key it up.  If they can't,
they're going to doubt your veracity.  Now, maybe you just had the box
functioned off when they checked it (every time), but how are they
going to know that?  If that's the case, you need to take the bull by
the horns and arrange to demonstrate the repeater's existance at a
mutually convenient time.  If you can't they're going to believe that
you have a "paper repeater," and they're going to give the channel to
someone else.  They clearly have doubts about your operation, and
you're going to have to meet them half way to straighten it out.

Regards,
Jeff W6JK